Most of these options create a video file. Our recommendation is to upload video to Microsoft Stream, the College’s supported video streaming service through our Office 365 subscription. Please see our Stream post for more details on uploading and sharing video.
Microsoft PowerPoint slide show presentation software is part of the College’s Office 365 subscription. The most recent versions of PowerPoint allow you to narrate over your presentation as you present and save the result as an mp4 video file. You can also use the insert audio option to record audio on each slide and share the PowerPoint presentation. Windows: you can include your webcam with your recording and save directly to Microsoft Stream. Annotating with “digital ink” while narrating does not work as most people would want. (free via Office 365 subscription for all College users)
- Windows: Record a slide show with narration and slide timings (includes web camera and option to publish to Stream)
- Mac: Record a slide show with narration and slide timings
- Record audio and add it to an individual slide
- Save a presentation as a movie file or MP4
- You can do it
Microsoft Stream- Screen Recording
Stream software is part of the College’s Office365 subscription. Use the screen recording option available under “Create” to make short screen recordings of up to 15 minutes, using your camera and microphone, without any additional software. To learn how to use this feature, please see “Create a Screen Recording” from Microsoft.
Please note the following considerations for the Screen Recording tool:
Supported browsers and limitations:
Screen Recorder works on the following browsers:
- Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 Microsoft Edge, version 79 and above on Windows 10 and macOS
- Google Chrome, version 74 and above on Windows 10 and macOS
- Safari on MacOS is not supported
- Microsoft Stream Mobile on iOS and Android is not supported in mobile browsers
- Recording system audio is available only on Windows, not macOS
- Including the camera in the recording is available only when recording the entire screen, not when recording an application window or browser tab.
- Screen recordings are limited to a maximum length of 15 minutes. For longer content, break up your video into shorter segments.
Microsoft Teams – Meet Now
Teams software is part of the College’s Office 365 subscription. Use the “Meet now” feature to record yourself giving a presentation with your web camera, microphone, and screen sharing. The recording is saved automatically to your Stream account.
- Watch our 2 minute video in Stream to learn how
QuickTime Player (Mac)
Not just a player! Record your Mac’s screen and your camera for free using QuickTime on Mac OS version 10.6 or higher. (free, native to Mac)
- How To Record Your Face and Screen On Your Mac using QuickTime
- How to Record Your iPad with QuickTime on Your Mac
- How to use QuickTime Player from Apple Support
- A quick video tutorial
Xbox Game Bar (Windows)
On Windows 10 users can use the built in Xbox Game Bar to create screen capture videos similar to what Mac users can do with QuickTime. (free, native to Windows 10)
Explain Everything is an application for creating Whiteboard screencasts available for iOS, Android, and Web. It works best if you have some form of pen input, a Wacom tablet for a laptop or Apple Pencil for an iPad Pro, for example. The mobile version allows you to import a PowerPoint presentation – each slide of the PowerPoint presentation is converted to an Explain Everything slide that can be narrated and annotated. The Web version does not allow this. (Subscription – contact Ed Tech for an available license.)
- Demonstration video and information
- Free extended access (Contact us to see if there are open seats in our team license.)
Snagit is a cross platform tool for creating quick screen capture videos. It will allow you to record your entire screen, a specific window, or a select portion of the screen. (subscription, free through June 2020)
OBS Studio is a full-featured cross platform open source video recording and live streaming application. It will allow you to create scenes made up of multiple sources including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, applications windows, and more. (free, open source)
Screencast-O-Matic is an online tool to capture your screen, add a webcam, and use narration to customize your video. Record and save to your computer with no time limit for free (if you wish to publish your recording to their platform, you are limited to clips shorter than 15 minute). (online, free for some features)