Student response sites, systems, and apps can be used for informal, formative assessment in the classroom. They also provide a way to promote student-teacher and student-student interaction, even with large classes.
What is formative assessment?
- Poll students for an answer to a question and display the answer distribution as a graph.
- Encourage student engagement with questions during a lecture.
- Write on post-it notes.
- Use the Post-it Plus app (iOS) to capture a photo of the notes.
- Use the app to arrange, edit, and share digital note boards. [Details at post-it.com]
- Create polls online at Plickers.com.
- Launch poll and display results using Plickers app for iOS or Android on instructor’s mobile device.
- Collect multiple choice or True/False answers from students who use printed Plickers cards (not electronic device).
- Create polls online at Poll Everywhere. Poll types include multiple choice, open response, Q&A upvoting, ranking, and clickable images.
- Display poll using a browser, the Poll Everywhere app, or embedded in PowerPoint slides.
- Collect responses from students who use personal devices via text message, browser, or Twitter.
- Respond to the sample at pollev.com/emilyarmour378
- Create new assignments or transform a PDF or doc at Goformative.com.
- Students use internet connected devices to respond to question types that include multiple choice, short answer and Show Your Work with text and drawing tools.
- Live responses allow auto-grade or the instructor to score and give immediate feedback.
Sample Formative quiz: 2D Shapes quiz
Can be made publicly available:
Quick Code: Visit http://goformative.com/join and enter this code: QUNP394
Can be assigned to a class with enrolled student user accounts.
- Create a digital bulletin board at Padlet.com and share it.
- Students can add text, photos, links, video.
- Instructors can print and export to PDF or Excel/CSV