Skype is software that allows users to make calls over the Internet. Calls to other users of this service and to free-of-charge numbers are free, while calls to other landlines and mobile phones have a fee. Additional features include instant messaging, file transfers, and video conferencing.
What can it do?
- Call anyone else on Skype for free or make international phone calls to mobiles and landlines at a rate
- Make group calls up to 25 people
- Video chat with friends on webcams or cellphones
- Send virtually anyone a quick message, with voice, text, video, and photos
- Give your contacts access to files, photos, videos, and more
- Skype voice translator can currently translate conversations in 10 languages, and Skype text translator is available in more than 60 languages
Uses in a Course
- Conduct video conferences with colleagues for research.
- Have foreign language students communicate with native speakers in other countries.
- Skype for Web is supported in many browsers
- Skype Desktop and Mobile are available for free download on multiple platforms
- Student Technology Assistants are available for help at the Digital Media Bar in Andrews Library in the CoRE.
- Educational Technology provides both training and support for the use of Skype.
- Getting Started with Skype FAQ